When it comes to the installation, repair, and replacement of roofing, one of the challenges faced by homeowners is choosing the best person to do the job. You cannot just entrust the task in the hands of an inexperienced person because it is your roof that is at stake. The roof is one of the most important structures of a home or building. A damage to the roof can jeopardize not just the roof but the entire structure of the house/building and the people inside it.
To narrow down your choice, you should consider these tips:
- Get local referrals – Many people think that it is best to go with a big company, someone that operates on a national level. However, it is quite difficult to find out whether or not there are issues or scams faced by such company. You can easily find out the track record of a roofing company if you choose within your local community.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) – Check the BBB website before hiring the service of a roofing contractor. You can directly check on the website the BBB rating or score of the company. You will also find out whether there are complains or issues filed against the company and how the company handled such complaints.
- Choose a factory certified contractor – manufacturers give a badge of honor to roofing contractors that pass the requirements to be a factory certified contractor.
- Check for warranty – Not all roofing contractors offer a warranty to their work. However, the best roofing company backs its work with a work warranty. Choose a contractor that offers the longest workmanship warranty. A wrongly installed or repaired roof may take some time for the damage to show up. Without a warranty, you will be left with no choice but to handle the damage on your own. It could be a roof damage that is costly to repair. With a warranty, you will have a peace of mind knowing that whatever happens to your roof, the roofing contractor will take care of it.
- Check of licensing and insurance – Make sure that you only deal with a licensed roofing contractor. If anything goes wrong, you can easily locate the contractor and they will be obligated to handle your concerns because their license is at stake. Another important thing to keep in mind is to make sure that the roofing contractor has insurance for all employees. Not having an insurance could eventually lead to a litigation between the roofing contractor and the homeowner. Hence, it is important to ask for a copy of a license and insurance certificate and validate it.
- Check for affiliation – Choose a roofing contractor that is affiliated with construction-related organizations. This simply means that the contractor is updated with the current construction trends and safety precautions used in the construction industry.
Choosing the best roofing contractor can be a daunting task considering the number of roofing contractors available today. With the tips mentioned above, you can somehow narrow down your choice and eventually choose the best among the rest.